We will give you a complimentary price quote for cleaning services that will fit your needs and your budget.
Busy Bee: Cleaning Upholstery – Tips & Tricks
When it comes to cleaning upholstery, take advice from the professionals who “clean” for a living. Professionals, such as the individuals who work for New York maid services, use these tips and techniques for cleaning upholstery and more. Everyday wear and tear definitely takes its toll on the upholstered furniture in your home, especially if you have children and pets. Spills and stains leave furniture looking old and worn. Make a point to address stains and spills before they have a chance to set. To give furniture a fresh and clean look, learn these secrets used by the highest caliber maid service, NYC based or elsewhere, uses to clean upholstered furniture.
Start with identifying the fabric, the type of stain and the location and size of the stain. Synthetic fabrics typically can be cleaned at home without professional maid services. New York maids know how to get stains out quickly and efficiently without damaging the fabric. Review the manufacturer’s label and note whether the material is 100 percent synthetic or it consists of a blend of natural and synthetic materials, such as cotton and polyester. Blended fabrics require special handling, so test an unseen area of the upholstery before attempting to clean the entire piece of furniture.
When the fabric contains more than 50 percent cotton, and has a large or dark stain in a prominent area, professional help from a maid service, NYC based or elsewhere, might be the best choice for cleaning the upholstery. Whenever possible, treat and clean stains when they happen – this offers the best results when cleaning upholstery, maid services, New York based and based in other locations can help to remove the old stains. The hardest types of stains to clean are those that consist of oil and grease. Leave all large stains to professional maid services. NYC has extremely thorough and talented maids. Note these upholstery-cleaning tips used by professional New York maid services:
- A maid service, NYC based or elsewhere, typically avoids using too much water when cleaning upholstery – it can make the stain worse. Try a spot remover without water. If you use water, make sure to use it cautiously for best results.
- Try upholstery cleaners that go on as foam – these work well for organic-based stains, but won’t do anything for a stain that comes from oil or grease. Spray on the foam and vacuum the spot when dry.
- Use baby wipes to remove the stain. This product contains the right amount of water and soap, is gentle and helps to dry the fabric quickly.
- For coffee stains, combine water, vinegar, and a dime-sized dab of dish detergent in a small bowl. Use a soft cloth to dab the upholstery until the coffee stain disappears. Let the area air-dry.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of color safe bleach to a bowl that contains a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide for stains from mildew or mold. Dip a clean cloth in the solution and lightly wipe the stain. Scrub the area with a small amount of fresh water on a clean cloth. Let dry.
Treating Stubborn Stains
One trick used by maid services, NYC based and elsewhere, for getting crayon out of upholstery is to apply a small amount of non-gel toothpaste to the crayon stain. This only works on upholstery that is water safe. Rub the toothpaste on the surface of the stain, small areas at a time, and then blot the area and wipe with a damp cloth.
For hard-to-treat grease or oil stains, maid services, NYC established, typically start with sprinkling talcum powder, cornstarch or salt on the stain as soon as possible. Use a clean cloth to rub in the cornstarch, salt, or talcum powder in small sections at a time on the stain. Ideally, if you catch the stain while it is still fresh, the cornstarch, salt, or talcum powder will absorb the grease or oil and allow you to wipe it off with a damp cloth.
To keep furniture looking fresh and clean, have maid services, New York and other locations, regularly vacuum upholstered furniture to keep dirt from being ground into the surface of the fabric. Many vacuums come with special attachments for just this purpose. With small children, pets, or both in the home, make sure to vacuum furniture weekly.
For more information, tips and techniques for cleaning upholstery, click on one of the links below:
- Tips for Caring and Cleaning Upholstered Furniture
- Tips and Tricks for Spring Cleaning
- Care, Cleaning and Handling of Furniture
- Stain Removal Techniques for Clothing Can Be Used for Furniture
- Cleaning Mildew from Upholstery and More
Call upon a New York maid service when you need professional assistance in cleaning upholstery, or would like to engage a weekly cleaning service. These professionals bring years of expertise when it comes to cleaning your home and keeping upholstery looking like new.
Last modified: April 9, 2018