We will give you a complimentary price quote for cleaning services that will fit your needs and your budget.
Green Cleaning Practices for a Safer Indoor Environment
Cleanliness is generally associated with good health; however, many household cleaning products contain chemicals that are hazardous to the health of humans, wildlife, and the environment. Studies have shown that 150 chemicals commonly found in homes and schools are linked with allergies, birth defects, psychological abnormalities, and cancer. Children are especially sensitive to the effects of toxic cleaners. The purpose of green cleaning is to reduce these harmful impacts on people, wildlife, and the environment.
Green Cleaning works by replacing harmful cleaning products with safer products, by using the strength of cleaner needed to get the job done, using less or none of toxic cleaners, and by using items like microfiber cloths or rags, instead of disposable items like paper towels. The obvious benefits of green cleaning are reduced exposure to dangerous chemicals and poisoning, and reduced pollution and harm to the environment and wildlife; however, savings in money and space are added bonuses. There are a multitude of homemade green cleaner recipes available for every need, and a wealth of techniques, strategies, and practices for green cleaning.
- What Is Green Cleaning? – Some of the benefits of green cleaning in schools are listed here.
- Going Green at Home (pdf) -The University of Illinois goes over ways to live a green lifestyle, including how to green clean.
- Green Cleaning (pdf) – This school publication gives a definition of green cleaning and explains why it is so important.
- Cleaning (pdf) – Reasons to green clean and ways to do it are given here.
- Cleaning with Non-Toxics – UCLA provides an article detailing harmful ingredients in cleaning products and their effects on health, and lists five green ingredients to replace them with.
- Toxic Cleaning Supplies – Adverse effects of traditional cleaners on human health, the environment, and wildlife are reviewed here, and ways to green clean are offered.
- Dangerous Household Chemicals -The American Lung Association states that volatile organic compounds found in common cleaners can cause asthma and respiratory diseases, and provides tips on how to avoid them.
- Household Hazards (pdf) – This in depth publication details reasons for green cleaning-specific toxins and their effects on health, especially the health of women, are deliberated in these pages.
How It Works
- Clean and Green (pdf) – Learn how traditional cleaning may not be so good for health after all, and gain knowledge on how green cleaning ingredients work, as well as perusing some green cleaner recipes.
- Reducing Toxic Product Use – Green cleaning works by reducing or eliminating the use of toxic cleaning products-learn the many ways how green cleaning works in every room of the house.
- Cleaning with Vinegar (pdf) – Vinegar is effective against dirt, mineral deposits, and many bacteria while being safe for the environment, according to the studies reviewed in this document.
- Baking Soda (pdf) – Baking soda and how it works as a green cleaner are covered here, and many examples of how baking soda can be used to clean are given.
- Natural Cleaning Kit – Seven basic green cleaning agents and how they work are listed.
- Non-Toxic Cleaners – Read about the ways green cleaners work, and learn some homemade recipes.
- Homemade Cleaners (pdf) – This article starts out with green cleaning solutions for household needs and then delves into how the ingredients work.
- Natural Household Cleaners (pdf) – A county publication examines the need for green cleaning, the adverse environmental impacts of traditional cleaners, and offers alternative solutions that benefit people and the environment.
- 7 Benefits of Green Cleaning – An educational website lists seven benefits of using green cleaning products.
- Green Cleaning for Businesses and Individuals (pdf) – Take a look at a guide for green cleaning which includes benefits of green cleaning and how to do it.
- Benefits of Green Schools (pdf) – Studies have shown that green cleaning in schools lead to better health of students and better learning-and these are just a few benefits.
- Green Cleaning for Schools (pdf) – Challenges of green cleaning in schools are considered and a guide to implementing green cleaning practices is given.
- Green Schools – Best practices for green cleaning in schools are listed, such as what to look for in cleaning products as well as what to avoid.
- Green Cleaning in Schools – Learn why green cleaning in schools is important, and take a look at state policies on green cleaning practices for several states.
- Hazardous cleaners (pdf) – Many green cleaning practices and how people can implement them are taught in this university publication.
- Good Clean Fun (pdf) – Reasons for green cleaning and green practices such as avoiding hazardous cleaning ingredients and replacing them with healthy alternatives are given in this guide.
- Green Housecleaning Guide (pdf) – Practices such as how to shop for green cleaners and essential oils and how to make them into cleaners are presented in this guide.
Strategies and Techniques
- Do-It-Yourself Safe Cleaning Solutions (pdf) – Learn many strategies for green cleaning, like how to store homemade cleaning products, how to make them, and ingredients in commercial cleaning products to stay away from.
- Green Cleaning in Schools – This thorough guide presents a wealth of techniques and strategies for green cleaning in schools, and why it is needed.
- What are Green Cleaning, Sanitizing, and Disinfecting? (pdf) – Helpful green cleaning techniques on how to clean
- 10 Ways to Clean Green – Green American lists reasons to clean green, and then covers ten strategies ingredients to use to do it.
- Green Cleaning Strategies – Strategies on how to identify and choose green cleaning products and techniques on how to make homemade ones are presented on this site.
- Clean and Green (pdf) – Discover how to recycle common household items into cleaning tools, shop green, and make green cleaners.
- Green Cleaners – Read an engaging story of one woman’s experience with green cleaning and learn about some green cleaners.
- Green Cleaning at Home (pdf) – Take a look at a checklist that identifies characteristics to look for in green cleaning products.
- Green Household Hints (pdf) – Learn how to save money by using green cleaning supplies.
- Cleaning? Think Green! – Examine tips on how to save the environment by using baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Top Ten Tips for Greener Cleaning – Ten tips on safer cleaning are offered, including hand washing and safe cleaning techniques.
- Green Cleaning Tips In addition to providing green cleaning tips, this article presents startling statistics on deaths and health problems linked to conventional cleaning supplies.
- Cleaning Healthy, Cleaning Green (pdf) – Since people spend 90% of their time inside, it is important to cut down on indoor pollution by green cleaning and tips on how to do that are given.
Green Cleaning Recipes
- Green Cleaning Recipes (pdf) – Recipes for different kinds of homemade green cleaners are given in a format that enables them to be printed out and used like recipe cards.
- Get a Green Clean (pdf) – Discover recipes for making all-purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, and deodorizers just to name a few.
- Environmentally Friendly Cleaning (pdf) – Several different green cleaner recipes are offered here, as well as tips on how to safely prepare and store them.
- Recipes for a Safer Home (pdf) – Ingredients for green cleaning products are listed and how they work is described; additionally, recipes to make homemade cleaners are listed.
- Eco-Friendly Cleaning Recipes – A large number of techniques for everyday cleaning challenges are given as well as a wealth of homemade green cleaner recipes.
- Do It Yourself Cleaning Recipes (pdf) -This publication contains an extensive chart of green ingredients and cleaners, what they are used for, and a very interesting tale on an antiseptic recipe used during the plague.
- Tried and True Recipes (pdf) – Old fashioned cleaning recipes are useful green cleaning recipes for today.
- Green Cleaning Your Home (pdf) – This article is full of interesting facts, figures, and stories on green cleaning and it provides some recipes as well.
- Green Cleaning Advice – Read labels to identify hazardous cleaning products.
- Helpful Green Cleaning Tips – Study these green cleaning tips and help the environment.
- Alternative Cleaners – Read about why green cleaning is important, look at a table of dangerous products that are common in the home, and learn about some safer, alternative products.
- Reducing Toxicity in the Home (pdf) – Common toxins in household cleaning products are identified and healthier alternatives are given.
- Old Fashioned Green Cleaning – Old fashioned cleaners are gaining new popularity as green alternatives to hazardous conventional cleaners.
Last modified: April 9, 2018