We will give you a complimentary price quote for cleaning services that will fit your needs and your budget.
Busy Bee – Cleaning the Earth: The History of Earth Day
Written by: Greg Wiszniewski
On April 22, people all over the world celebrate Earth Day. On this day, we honor the Earth and find ways to make it better. Many things hurt the Earth, such as pollution, wasting energy and littering. Living things depend on the Earth for clean air, clean water and sunlight for growth. When the Earth is sick, the animals, plants and people who depend on it suffer. The first Earth Day was on April 22, 1970, but every day should be Earth Day. Every day, we should care about clean air to breathe, clean water to drink and make sure the Earth is healthy.
We can keep Earth clean, safe and healthy by remembering the three R’s: reduce, reuse and recycle. People use energy such as gas, fuel, water and electricity. Reduce means to use less energy so that Earth’s resources are saved. Every day, people around the world throw garbage away. When people throw garbage away, it goes to landfills where it causes pollution. Reuse means to use something again and again. Instead of throwing everything away, people can reuse items and stop them from going to landfills. The last of the three R’s is recycle. Recycle means to take something old, change it, and make it new. Metals, glass, and even paper can be recycled. Reduce, reuse and recycle are important tools for saving planet Earth.
Taking care of the Earth isn’t a job just for grown-ups. Kids can help keep the Earth healthy, clean and safe. Everyone must do his or her part every day, not just on Earth Day. It is our job to take care of every living thing, no matter how big or small.
You may learn more about Earth Day and find ways to help take care of our planet in the links below.
- Earth Day History and Quiz: Read about Earth Day history or let the site read to you.
- What is Earth Day: Online coloring page and learn what Earth Day is about.
- Every Day is Earth Day: Learn why every day is Earth Day and play fun games.
- Earth Day Crafts and Activities: Learn about Earth Day and make a craft.
- Kids Take Action on Earth Day: Explore the history of Earth Day and read about Senator Gaylord Nelson.
- Planetpals Earth Day Page: Discover about Earth Day, recycling, upcycling and how to say Happy Earth Day in any language.
- Free Earth Day Games and Activities for Kids: Lots of Earth Day games and activities to play.
- Earth Day Coloring Pages and Games: Free games and coloring pages for Earth Day.
- Earth Day Fun and Games: Earth Day word games, painting, puzzles and more for kids.
- Earth Day Activities and Games: Play these Earth Day games and activities at Nick Jr.
- Sid the Science Kid Earth Day Coloring: Color this picture and celebrate Earth Day with Sid the Science Kid.
- Earth Day Coloring Pages: Check out these printable coloring pages for Earth Day.
- The Lorax Save the Trees Game: Help the Lorax save the trees in this Dr. Seuss game.
- Hooray for Earth Day: Print this book and learn more about Earth Day.
- Earth Day books for Grades K-2: Check out these books at your local library and read about Earth Day.
- The Happy Earth Day Coloring Book: Have an adult print this coloring book out and enjoy Earth Day.
- Earth Day by the Numbers: Learn more about human waste on planet Earth.
- Earth Day Experiments: Grab an adult and learn more about recycling with these experiments.
- Earth Day Games: Play these games about climate change, energy and waste.
- The First Earth Day: Read about Earth Day’s history and the first Earth Day.
- EekoWord Fun and Games: Learn how to take care of Earth through these games and activities.
- Earth Day Games, Activities and Crafts: Make Earth Day crafts, play games and answer trivia questions.
- Green Games: Learn about the environment with the Greens.
- Kids for Saving Earth: Use these worksheets to learn how you can help save planet Earth.
- For Kids Only: Learn about planet Earth from NASA.
- Earth Day in Your Neighborhood: Learn ways to bring Earth Day to your neighborhood.
- An Earth Day Story: Act out this play and learn about Earth Day.
- Michael Michael Go Recycle: Learn about recycling with this fun game.
- Earth Day Printable Books: Make one of these Earth Day printable books to learn more about the holiday.
- Earth Day: Cleaning up our Planet: Read about Earth Day’s history and how you can help clean the world.
- Clean the World: Play this fun interactive game and learn how to keep Earth clean.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Learn how you can help care for Earth with the three R’s.
- Earth Friendly Comics: Choose from three comic books and learn about the environment.
- Miss Maggie’s Earth Adventures: Play these games and watch fun cartoons about Earth.
- Energy Kids: Learn about Earth and energy basics.
- Water Quiz: Play games and take this quiz about water resources and planet Earth.
- Energy House: Learn about Earth and how energy works.
- Children of the Earth: Learn how you can make every day Earth Day.
- Energy Quest: Explore energy sources and discover how you can help save Earth’s resources.
- Tiki the Penguin: Learn about climate change and how to save planet Earth.